- In 2009 Dropping of the Carp and the City of Prairie du Chien Parks and Recreation Department developed a partnership to expand upon the existing 9 year old event and formed CarpFest. The main goal is to provide friends and families a variety of weeklong events that are unique and fun for all ages.
- Last year’s attendance totals showing approximately 2500 participants which was held in artic temperatures of 0 degrees throughout the week! It also brought in people from 42 different cities, 12 different states, and 3 foreign countries with the farthest participant coming from Bolivia, South America. We hope to bring between 3000-3500 this year.
- · Past CarpFest events have been recognized through the following state and national publicity avenues including: Discovery Wisconsin, Governor Doyle’s Proclamation, numerous midwest radio interviews including “Higher Ground” Wisconsin Public Radio, tri-state news coverage from multiple newspapers, David Lettermen’s Top 10 List, and featured in the books-Fun with Families in Wisconsin, Great Winter Get Away’s in Wisconsin, and Wisconsin Curiosities.
- · This year’s Carpfest will be held from December 27th-January 1st featuring 21 different events and activities for all ages and ability levels from a Youth Triathlon and Bowling to an Adult Euchre Tournament
- All proceeds from selling apparel, concessions, and minimal fees go directly back into the event to help off-set costs
- The city benefits include: increased tourism throughout the week increased downtown patrons on New Year’s Eve, participant’s spending moneys through the community (ie gas stations, stores, etc.)Community pride that we offer something no other community does for all at a nominal cost, it has created Lucky Park which is the gateway on to the Island and provided many new trees integral for this park.
- Over 30 volunteers assisted with making this event a success for those that participated including school teachers, retired individuals, construction workers, council members, and a variety of other very dedicated individuals looking to make this something really special for our community.
- Past sponsors supporting this event include: PdC Tourism Council, Chamber of Council, Go America, Scream Extreme, American Sign Company, PdC Boy Scouts, Fuller Lumber, Liberty Builders and many other local business that donated prizes used for the event participants.
- We hope that members of the Tourism Council, Chamber of Council as well as businesses in the community recognize this event as a very meaningful way to spend the last week of December and that with their assistance this event will continue to grow and benefit all those that partner with us.
A fun-filled event intent on bringing friends, family, and community together for the New Year! Proceeds going to Dropping the Carp Fund and City Park and Recreation Youth Enrichment/Hoffman Hall Activities.
Additional Information: Contact Prairie du Chien Tourist Info 1-800-732-1673 (www.prairieduchien.org)